There’s not much better during hot weather than to take a quick dip in a swimming pool. It’s important, though, to make sure everyone follows swimming pool and spa safety rules. It’s easy to stay safe in and near the water as long as you pay attention to these guidelines:
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water.
- Teach children how to swim.
- Teach children to stay away from pool and spa drains.
- If a child can’t swim, make sure they’re wearing an approved flotation vest or other device. “Swimmies” or “floaties” are not sufficient flotation devices.
- If you have a backyard pool, make sure that proper barriers, covers and alarms are installed.
- Know how to perform CPR on children and adults.
- Know the signs of drowning! They’re not what you think.
Visit www.poolsafety.gov for more information about how to stay safe around the water.