State forces are currently patrolling and treating the roadways as necessary. Snowfall has warranted snow and ice activity by crews for the counties within District 7.
Motorists should use caution and remember the following safety tips:
- Drive carefully – Allow plenty of time to get to your destination. Do not use cruise control. Remember that bridges and exit and entrance ramps can be icy when other areas are not.
- Leave a “space cushion” – Leave enough room between you and the car in front of you because stopping in snow may require up to four times your normal stopping distance.
- Be seen – Dull, cloudy days will cut down on visibility so drive using low-beam headlights.
- Steer into a skid – Stay calm and ease your foot off the gas while carefully steering in the direction you want the front of your vehicle to go.
- Practice driving – During daylight, rehearse maneuvers slowly on ice or snow in an empty lot.
To view the priority route map for your county you can access:
For up-to-date traffic and travel information for major routes, inside Kentucky dial 511 and outside Kentucky call toll free at 1-866-737-3767.
Information can also be obtained by visiting: http://www.511.ky.gov/winteractivities
From Kentucky Transportation Dept., District 7