Recently, the Lexington Fraternal Order of Firefighters and the Lexington Fire Department have been the subjects of a false donation request scam.
In the last four days there have been at least two incidents where someone posing as a representative of these organizations has solicited donations. This occurred at a private residence in the Man O’ War Road area and at a business on Winchester Road.
Please do not donate to anyone requesting funds for the Lexington Fire Department or the Fraternal Order of Firefighters who does not have a badge or correct identification. If you are contacted by someone asking for these funds please contact the Lexington Fire Department Investigation Division tip line at (859)231-5672.
Some general tips to keep you safe from false donation requests:
- Ask fund-raisers for identification.
- Ask how your contribution will be used. Get written information.
- Call the organization to verify the fund-raiser’s authenticity.
- Be wary if a fund-raiser suggests you’ll receive special treatment for donating.
- Don’t feel intimidated about declining to give. A caller who uses intimidation tactics is likely to be a scam artist.
If you have any information regarding this scam, please contact the Lexington Fire Department Investigation Division tip line at (859)231-5672 or the Lexington Police Department at (859) 258-3600.