KYTC District 7 highway crews in Central Kentucky continue to pre-treat ramps, bridges and overpasses today. State forces pre-treated specific areas yesterday as well.
The pre-treatment of “salt-brine” helps to melt and prevent ice from forming on road surfaces. The “salt-brine” is a salt water type treatment. This procedure is a low cost pro-active approach to address roadway safety concerns.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests the following winter driving tips preventative measures:
- Get your car serviced now
- Check your battery
- Check your cooling system
- Fill your washer reservoir
- Check your windshield wipers and defrosters
- Know your car/every vehicle handles differently
- Plan your travel and route/plan ahead
- Stock your vehicle/emergency supplies
- Learn what to do in a winter emergency
For more information go to NHTSA by accessing: http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Winter weather road conditions: www.511.ky.gov/winteractivities
For traffic/travel information in KY: dial 511
Navigate traffic with KYTC, www.511.ky.gov, and WAZE, www.waze.com!
Source: Kentucky Transportation Cabinet