In Fayette County and across the United States, people with pets and companion animals are encouraged to help them be ready for emergencies and disasters. June is National Pet Preparedness Month and it’s time to make sure that pets have an emergency plan and an emergency kit, just like families.
“One of the of the worst things we’ve seen during an emergency is people who leave their pets behind in their homes,” says Patricia Dugger, Director of Lexington’s Division of Emergency Management. “The only thing that’s worse is people who won’t leave their homes during an emergency because they won’t leave their pets behind. That can be dangerous for everyone.”
There are some simple things to do so that you and your pets are ready for emergencies:
- Make sure your pet has an identification tag on its collar.
- Microchipping a pet is a good idea as well.
- Have copies of your pet’s medical records, especially immunization records.
- Keep at least one pet carrier, sturdy leash or harness for your pet to keep them under control.
- Know which local hotels will take pets in case you have to relocate for a time.
- Plan for temporary “foster care” for a pet with relatives, friends or neighbors.
Assemble a pet emergency kit that includes the following items:
- Food, especially special food if your pet has unusual dietary requirements.
- Bowls for food and water
- Crate, carrier or cage
- Collar and leash
- Blanket and bedding
- Toys and other comfort items
- Litterbox, litter and scoop
- Trash bags, paper towels and other cleanup supplies
- Copies of vaccination and other medical records
- Current photos of pets in case you get separated
- Written care and feeding instructions
More information about pet preparedness and pet kits is available at www.BeReadyLexington.com/pets.
Information about emergency preparedness is available from the Lexington Emergency Management website at BeReadyLexington.com. Information is also available from the Lexington Emergency Management Facebook page – LexingtonKYEM – and the emergency management Twitter account – @LEXKYEM.