With the University of Kentucky kicking off its 2016 football season this Saturday evening against Southern Miss, UK representatives and city of Lexington officials today announced updates and issued several reminders concerning game day operations at Commonwealth Stadium this fall.
To help spread the word, UK Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Eric Monday was joined by Lexington Police Chief Mark Barnard and others at the annual Game Day news conference at Wildcat Den, located within the stadium.
“First of all, we want to express our appreciation to our fans for their tremendous support of our football program,” Monday said. “Our transformed stadium is even more beautiful this fall as we were able to add several more finishing touches to the facility and its surroundings during the offseason.”
The Kentucky Wildcats will play Southern Miss at 7:30 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 3.
“Lexington definitely is energized when the students come back to campus and football season opens,” said Barnard, speaking for his department and on behalf of Mayor Jim Gray. “We love seeing Wildcat fans from all over Kentucky and beyond come to Commonwealth Stadium and have a great time at the games. There is cause for optimism about this season and the excitement it will bring. We ask everyone to please celebrate safely and respect the neighborhoods that surround the stadium.”
Other speakers at the news conference included UK Police Chief Joe Monroe and UK Executive Associate Athletics Director Marc Hill.
A few highlights as to what fans need to be aware of coming to the stadium complex:
- There have been changes in a number of parking assignments for this season. Specific directions for respective permits are included with season ticket books. Additional clarification on traffic flow is available on the UK football game day website.
- Fans are encouraged to display their parking permit when they leave their homes, enabling traffic personnel to efficiently sort and direct vehicles approaching the stadium complex.
- Non-permit parking is available on Cooper Drive on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at noon ET on Fridays. Additional non-permit parking is available in Parking Structures #2, #3 and #6.
- LexTran will operate the UK Football Express Campus and Downtown shuttles for the 2016 season, and all regular LexTran routes will operate on game day. More information is available at http://www.lextran.com/route-maps/uk-football.
- Tents and tow-behind trailers: Set up of tents and tow-behind trailers is not permitted until Friday at noon of game week. Removal of tents and tow-behind trailers must be completed by Sunday at noon (following game day).
- Tow-behind trailers may not park on paved surface lots within the Commonwealth Stadium complex, unless they too have a parking permit. Guests bringing a tow-behind trailer on game day, without a parking permit for the trailer, will be directed to the nearest available grass lot.
- As has been the case during the last several years, backpacks and large bags are prohibited from entering Commonwealth Stadium. Fans will be permitted to bring in one small bag, no larger than 13.5 inches x 10 inches x 7 inches. The bag must fit within sizing bins at all entrance gates. UK officials are encouraging fans to arrive early and bring as few items as possible.
UK Athletics has created a game day central website for fans to get answers about all game day operations questions. Before setting foot on campus for a football game this fall, fans are strongly encouraged to visit http://ukathleticsgameday.com/football/ for all game day information needs.
On the site, fans can read all about the 2016 game day operation changes, including GuestAssist – customer service text-messaging system; Twitter; Directions and Pre/Postgame Traffic; Parking/Tailgating Policies; Downtown & Campus Shuttles; RV Information – permitted RVs, non-permitted RVs; Maps – showing permit parking, non-permit parking, pre/postgame traffic flow and stadium diagram; Commonwealth Stadium A-Z – stadium services, policies and procedures; About Lexington.
Should you have questions/concerns regarding your game day experience, please submit an email to the UK game day email account (BBNFirst@uky.edu). The UK Athletics event management staff will respond to your inquiries in a timely manner.
For real-time updates regarding game day information, follow UK Athletics-Gameday on Twitter: @UKGamedayInfo.